Praying, or Gone Fishing?



--image from jacksonfish.com



Am I praying from a knowledge of God's presence and care, or am I just fishing for my hopes and dreams on the lake of life? Am I intentional, or am I hoping to get lucky?

Am I still struggling with asking for my will or for God's will? Do I have the suspicion that God's will is something painful, unpleasant, or endlessly difficult? Do I really believe God's will offers joy, a fulfillment of my talents, energy to love others and express myself freely in the world? Do I believe God is personally and directly concerned about me and acting on my behalf?

Honest openness in prayer forces me to repeat these questions until I can acknowledge a truthful answer. As long as I believe God's will is something that brings mostly pain and drudgery, I will never seek it with all of my heart. I will always make an excuse for settling for something else. I will always think less of God and more of myself. When I don't get what I want, I will tend to say prayer doesn't work--or God isn't good.

Am I praying, or have I just gone fishing?

Comments

LISA VAZQUEZ said…
Hello there Deborah,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful contributions to my think tank! I am happy to see more women of faith jumping into these "volatile" and difficult exchanges. I do believe that the sharing of viewpoints is vitally important.

As for your post...

You said:
"Honest openness in prayer forces me to repeat these questions until I can acknowledge a truthful answer."So many people have a difficult time coming to the Lord in their prayer time with all of their masks off.


Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa
Deborah Evans said…
You are welcome! Your think tank is a real gift and I enjoy reading, thinking about, and participating in the ideas and discussions.

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...