A little bit of time in a little bit of space


I have, on the wall space over my desk, a National Geographic map of the world. It's a physical map, displaying Earth's geology and geography without regard for political boundaries. I take a slow look at this map whenever I need to put myself, my problems, or my concerns in perspective. I am occupying a little bit of time in a little bit of space. If I really need to put things in perspective, I find photos of deep space. Looking at those images never fails to refocus my understanding of who is running the cosmos, including the little bit of space I am currently occupying.

I was saddened and truly sorrowful when I learned of Tim Russert's passing. I was a huge fan of his program, Meet the Press. In the days before the show offered a netcast, I was late for church a few Sundays when I couldn't tear myself away from the program. Tim Russert and Meet the Press were two of my last remaining reasons to watch network television.

I admire excellence. Although Meet the Press had its faults, it was the Sunday morning interview program, presented by a host who was well-prepared and skilled in asking difficult questions and pursuing follow-up relentlessly and energetically. Russert will be missed. He raised the bar for all of his competitors. That's always a good thing. I always enjoy a soul-deep smile when I see a man or woman of faith carrying out their calling with enthusiasm and excellence.

Despite the accolades and the honors, at the end of the day we all occupy a little bit of time in a little bit of space. Then, it's on to eternity; a place longed for and desired and still almost unimaginable.

Travel well, Tim Russert. For you, I imagine the journey will be long and sweet and full of beautiful things to see and know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...