Saving The Lives Of Malnourished Children

I waited yesterday.

I waited for someone to bring me something to eat.

I look to the sky, too weak to sit or move.

An insect crawls between my toes and across

the bottom of my foot.

It bites me.

I am too weak to push it away.

I am waiting for someone to bring me something to eat.



My mother went to look for food.

I can't remember how long she has been gone.

Will she return?

Who will help me?

I am waiting for someone to bring me something to eat.



I am still watching the sky.

They say God lives there.

But does God live here?

I am waiting for someone to bring me something to eat.



My eyes are tired and dry, but tears may still come.

I want to move, but I can't.

I want to eat.

I want to drink.

How long has my mother been gone?

Does God live on Earth?

I am hungry.

I am waiting for someone to bring me something to eat.

(c) 2008 D. Evans

Comments

Al Fischer said…
I can't tell you how much this poem touched me. Describing how someone is dealing with tragity so that other's can be made aware is truly a gift.
Thank you.
Deborah Evans said…
Thank you for your comment.

As I wrote this, I remembered pictures I have seen of starving children. Often, they were facing the sky and cradled in someone's arms. I wondered what would happen if their caregiver went away to look for food, clean water, or firewood.

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...