Psychic Readings? NIMBY.



"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known unto you." --Jesus Christ, in John 16:14-14

I live in Michigan, a recession-racked state, among the top in home foreclosures, unemployment, and population loss. Anyone who has lived here for more than ten years can drive through any business district and point out the foreclosure/for lease/for sale signs and tell you about the previous occupants of the now empty buildings.

Recently, one of our "all news" radio stations, a CBS affiliate, has run short ads promoting a psychic service. I won't name it because I don't think they deserve any further promotion. The ads are really "pimping" local fear, preying upon and playing into the idea that life as we know it has ended forever and that without "special insight", no one can be prepared for the future.

I am willing to acknowledge life as many of us have known it has ended forever. Regardless of how frugal some of us have become, we know our property values may stay low for many years, our 401Ks and IRAs may never see the former glory days of double-digit returns, and the old-style traditional retirement we dreamed of may never happen.

From time to time, I joke with friends and co-workers about being an old lady, asking a customer at a fast food drive-thru if they want fries with that order. Do I really think it will come to that? Well, someday it may, although I do not expect it and do not look forward to it and am not planning on it.

When I feel the need to know what will happen down the road (a type of curiosity I am trying to kill), I sit in prayer and wait for insight. Someone who has to advertise is not qualified to give me insight into the future. Someone who more than likely is struggling to pay their bills is not the one I want to seek out for advice. When I am ready to walk into whatever future awaits me, I will bypass the "medium" and go straight to the source.

He is there, waiting for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...