Don't Forget The Ascension



"I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone 'like a son of man', dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire.

His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: 'Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever. And I hold the keys of death and Hades.' " --Revelation 1: 12-18

However you interpret some of the images here in the writer's description of the ascended Jesus, it is hard to believe you can have a familiar attitude toward him. He carries a different persona from that one he carried while living in ancient Palestine. You could not have a revelation of him as he is today and call him "my buddy Jesus" or "the man upstairs."

Easter is a day of celebration, but I have to make an effort not to forget the ascension. Maybe Ascension Day should be called "Easter--The Sequel." Without the ascension, Easter's hope rings hollow.

Celebrate the Ascension!

He rose to ascend.

He ascended to be present to all - all at once and forever.
He ascended to reside in realms of light.

He ascended to keep, guard, and preserve his church.
He ascended to resurrect the righteous.
He ascended to judge rebellion and evil.

He ascended to rule in justice, love, and mercy.

(c)2009 deborah evans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...