Women, The Congo, Rape, War, Hell

My house went TV-free almost a month ago.

I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. My TV had become a news/weather/traffic announcement appliance. Now that I've gone TV free, I am seeking out and using other sources of news and information. Now that I've gone TV free, I realize my TV betrayed me.

Much of TV news didn't show me a real picture of what war looks like in the 21st century. I knew there were wars everywhere except Antarctica. (In North America, Mexican drug wars count). Why did I think the deadliest war was in Afghanistan?

It isn't. It's in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, a place where rape is now an established and almost never prosecuted crime and weapon of war. According to the United Nations, over 460 women and girls were raped in the first quarter of 2009. Ages of known victims range from three to 75. Many of their injuries are so severe, the rapes so brutal, the victims require surgeries and have lost control of their bodily functions.

It is a time to know more. It is a time to pray for human awareness, mercy and divine intervention.


TV isn't all bad, though
. This short video from 60 Minutes is proof. The discussion on the Congo begins after the short ad. Some of what's described here is not for the young or the faint of heart.




Watch CBS Videos Online

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...