What I Do; What Happens To Me

"There is nothing like suspense and anxiety for barricading a human's mind against the Enemy."(In this book, written from a tempter's point of view, God is referred to as the Enemy)."He (God) wants men to be concerned with what they do; our business is to keep them thinking about what will happen to them." --C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

"So do not worry, saying 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." --Jesus Christ, in Matthew 6:31-34


As I move more and more into living by faith, and not by sight, I must adjust to a higher degree of "uncertainty", because I will not always be able to anticipate what a day will bring.

I can be assured my life will be filled with meaningful and significant days--not because everyone tells me so, but because I am focusing on doing what God has called me to do. Some areas of this calling are strange and unfamiliar. Sometimes I am in uncharted territory. I may have to release priorities and methods and styles I have become accustomed to experiencing. How much of my faith has been based upon what I could see rather than what I could believe? If I insist on always feeling completely comfortable, something is wrong. Do I believe God owes me total comfort? Where did that idea come from?

The passage from C.S. Lewis reminds me of the need to stay focused on what I do (something I have limited control over), rather than what will happen to me (something I have very little control over)! Focusing on actions, I leave outcomes to God. When I have done this in the past, I have been pleasantly surprised by the wonderful things God has done. I have always been disappointed when I worried and acted out of my worry.

What I do = my responsibility.
What happens to me = God's responsibility.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...