The Angel Obsession

A few days ago, I received in my email an invitation to a talk on angels. This talk, presented by an artist who works in clay and other ceramics, was to be focused on how inspirational angels are and how the artist's inspiration is channeled into ceramic pieces.

I have always wondered why angels are such an item of interest, especially in the minds of those who don't pursue God with the same energy or interest. Scripturally, angels are messengers of God and from time to time, they intervene in human affairs. Angelic appearances always point back to God. Near the end of the Book of Revelation, John the Revelator is so overwhelmed by what he has seen that he bows in worship to the angel who has assisted in the revelation. The angel's response is to say "Do not do it"! Continuing, the angel explains his role as a fellow servant of God.

From Revelation 22:

8 I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. Worship God!”


Where does the "angel obsession" originate? Yes, we are spiritual beings and desire to see the invisible, to look into the unknown. Angels may be channels for that insight, but the purpose and goal of spiritual insight is to know God, not to know angels. I am not more interested in the mail man who delivers my letter than I am in reading the contents of the letter and corresponding with the sender of that letter.

The angel obsession: if it's healthy, it always points to God, who is the only One worthy of worship and adoration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...