A Thousand Years in God's Sight

“For a thousand years in thine eyes [are}
As yesterday in that it passed away,
Or [as] a watch in the night.”

--Psalm 90:3, Rotherham Translation


Am I in a hurry today?

Am I in a hurry to get somewhere, do something, or make something happen? Am I in a hurry to make a change in myself or someone else? Am I in a hurry to learn something new, perfect a skill, or see an outcome?

Why am I in a hurry?

I have as much time as God allows, and God’s timetable is quite different from mine. Just as I mistrust salespeople who try to create “a sense of urgency” when pitching a product or service, I must distrust in myself the sense that things must happen right now. Why right now?

In one of my favorite books, C. S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters, the author reminds us God’s perspective and timetable are correct, not just God’s way of seeing things. God sees things as they truly are. We are the ones who have a skewed perspective on time and urgency. God’s urgency is my urgency, but my urgency is not God’s urgency.

Yes, I need to pay my bills on time and leave early enough to get to work or school on time. Dinner should be served at a decent hour. I need eight hours of sleep. But I am also willing to live on God’s timetable and know that a lot of the rushing and pushing and urgency are not from God. I need to listen to the still, small voice that says there really is enough time to do whatever God ordains.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...