The Thing God Never Says

"Are you down? Stay there!"

I have had time this weekend to watch one of my favorite films, the original Rocky (1976). You can follow the link for a plot summary, but a key event in this boxing drama/love story occurs when a fighter is struggling near the end of a round and takes a hard fall. His manager, who's supported him through the rigorous training process but is now fearful for the fighter's health and safety, simply tells him to "stay down." In other words, "it's gotten too hard for you; just stay down, stay safe, and let yourself lose this fight."
 
This is the thing God never says to anyone.

If you are on Earth, God has a good plan for what should happen with your life.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

God has invested much in the human family. If you are alive, God has invested in you. He sustains the life of every living creature and every living thing and most likely things we are unable to see or observe. It is the nature of God to create and sustain and to love all of creation.

If something happens in life that seems too difficult to recover from, it is a sign that it's time to listen for something new from God. It is not a time to stay down, settle for less, or become accustomed to living a a dark corner or a bad place.

If someone is telling me I should accept something less that what is good, honest, and honorable, it's time for me to turn off my ears and turn on my faith.

If someone is telling me I don't have a right to expect what is worthwhile and what nourishes my soul, it's time for me to take a stroll away from that person.

Because God created me, He has invested in me becoming and being a fully spiritual person in His image and likeness. That's why it doesn't feel right when I settle for less.

People often tell us we should accept less --of whatever--because our acceptance benefits them. God constantly tells me never to settle because He has something truly good for me, something that benefits me.

"Stay down" : the thing God never says.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...