Self-Test: "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks"

Can you evaluate your own spiritual progress, the state of your own heart and spirit? Do you need feedback from someone else to know where you stand? Outside input is often helpful, but there are things you can do on your own

In Matthew 12:34 (NIV), Jesus says: "You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks."

The Apostle Paul wrote the Christians in Corinth that they should examine themselves. How do we test ourselves? What going on in my heart? Jesus said out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks.

How often do I catch myself "overflowing" with these types of statements:

"I knew it wouldn't work out."

"This is too much!"

"I'm sick to death of (him, her, this, etc...)"

"I owe, I owe, so off to work I go."

"As soon as we save a little money, some disaster comes along and sweeps away our savings."

"These kids are going to drive me crazy!"

"Lord, help me to hold out."

After all, I could say:

"This didn't work out as I'd planned and  hoped, so another path is now clearly open to me."

"I can handle this, seek help, or  say "no" to this."

"It's time for me to change my thinking about or my interactions with him, her, this, etc. ..."

"I thank God I have the means to meet my obligations."

"Nothing is 'too good to be true'. Was I ready for what I wanted?"

"I am earning enough, saving enough, and placing the works in of my hands in God's care."

"My children do not control my state of mind. God controls my state of mind."

"Lord, you called me to live an abundant life, so help me to move from 'survivor mode' to 'thriver  mode.' "


I took this self-test and realized I have more work to do. How did you score on the test of "self-talk"? What's going on in your heart? Listen to what you say and you will know the answer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...