"What would you do differently if you were God?"


This is the question a good friend asked me years ago. We were discussing the state of humanity, the state of the world. Then, the question popped up.

I was surprised by this. As I thought about the question for a few minutes I realized there could only be one answer. The answer was: nothing. I would do nothing differently. Perhaps I would mourn and regret (see Genesis 6:5-6) the failures of humanity, but I would do nothing differently.

This is the only answer for the one who follows Christ.

To give any other answer suggests I think I know more than God, can see options God cannot see, or can coordinate outcomes in ways God cannot. 

That, of course, is ridiculous. I am sensible enough to understand I don't know more than God knows. Nor do I see (or can create) limitless options from the current situation. I have no power to coordinate outcomes involving dozens of variables across time and space.

But, it is not ridiculous to know and feel sadness when I think about how severely we humans have ruined ourselves and the creation. In that knowing and feeling, I understand the necessity of salvation in Christ. Although God mourns our failures, we are never abandoned to failure. We have options. A way out is offered, and given, to those who will take it. Jesus Christ offers a way out (salvation) for anyone who will take it on His terms.

In the middle of mourning and pain, there is a way up, a way out, and a way beyond. For that we can all be grateful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother's Day Remembrance of Love and Beauty

Higher Ground; Heaven's Tableland

Declaring Yourself "Blessed and Highly Favored"? Slow Down A Bit...